Thursday, February 19

"Something's Gotta Give"

Before entering the theatre, I didn't know what "Something's Gotta Give" was about, except from what I saw in the trailer in RoadShow. I was given two comments before the viewing, one was from the secretary in my office, who is 28, I think, and said "I was a bit disappointed on the movie because there's so little Keanu Reeves in it", and the other was from my friend who only told me "it's very good". As I'm not a fan of Mr. Reeves, I decided to support the respectable casts Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton.

The movie turned out to be an unexpected prize for me tonight.

It is a love comedy that floods out messages about life those give you not only laughs but also tears. A movie's success bets on the 'click' with audience. It reaches to you and touches your heart. The script utilizes witty dialogues to turn life ironies into jokes. The comic skill of the light-touch pros is also undeniable.


I especially appreciate the scene on Harry (Nicholson) and Erica (Keaton)'s cyber reunion after Erica went back to Hampton with a broken heart, witnessing Harry's old prided habit of dating younger women. Imagine the two stars at their sixties, not being customized to the new technology, but are acting out the emotions I have come across a million times so vividly in front of the computers. It's the moment when one is deliberating whether it is appropriate to type the words on the keyboard – I miss you – and on the other end, the person stares at the monitor anxiously, waiting to see what the ex-lover has to say. The anxiety makes a second overwhelmingly long and to a point where the person cannot bear anymore so decides to end the conversation by lying out "actually I have to run". And right at the moment the dialogue box disappears, the devastating disappointment dives in. Erica bursts into tears.

It's a little sad to see myself actually identifying to a woman who's at 'the upper female quadrant' or, as being dubbed as 'woman at your age' in the movie. I thought having that identification to the 30-year-olds in "Sex and the City" was bad enough.

Here're the few lessons I re-learnt from "Something's Gotta Give":

· Do not be afraid to feel heart broken, because only from that you know you have lived. The important thing is you learn from the trauma.
· Being strong doesn't mean you cannot cry, but as soon as you dry your tears, move on and face the new phase of life.
· When you feel heart broken, turn the pain into your favor and live on beautifully.
· You can find yourself only by facing your past with courage.
· Love is special when you find someone who knows how to appreciate you, someone who touches your soul.
· Beauty comes in with confidence.
· Women grow smarter with age, but men are too afraid of that. Especially in the case of the younger males here in my place, they like to go for air-headed females. A lot of times, long legged ostriches.