Sunday, February 6

Happy Chinese New Year

Ca va my fellow bloggers, here we have entered the second month of 2005. I haven't contributed much, or any to be exact, in the past month to my blog, but how did it still manage to get 200 viewers?

I went to the new year market at Victoria Park tonight. I like to do this ritual for Chinese new year, in order to get the taste of the atmosphere and prepare my mental self for it. The sense of tradition.

But really, it's merely a ritual, the part of tradition has long gone. Last year I went to the market with two very westernized guy friends, well that's because they're not from Hong Kong. We went in with the intention to experience Chinese culture, but came out with only clouds of awkwardness over our head. They bombarded me with sarcastic remarks like "Why are they selling Korean made vacuum cleaner?" "Oh Hello Kitty tissue container." "I think this dried squid is the highlight of the market." I just laughed if off.

Welcome to Hong Kong in the 21th century.

I'm not saying it's bad, afterall, a city cannot progress carrying the whole burden of history.

Last month I visited Hokkaido, that's part of the reason why I haven't been writing. The other reason was that I've been very stressed out by work. My mood is now all dependent on my work performance, which is evaluated on a daily basis, sometimes by my boss, but mostly by myself. So when I felt that I had written some good stories, I would be thrilled for the rest of the night, if not, I would then become helplessly depressed. A pressure from within is at worst.

More will be on the trip to Hokkaido.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home