Wednesday, April 7

Contradiction

I have been constantly confronted by two goals I have in life: life goal and career goal, which don't seem to match and in fact, contradictory.

Right now I can still wear brand names like one office lady in Central and have happy hour at Lan Kwai after work. But one month later, my life's gonna be very different.

My desired lifestyle is one like a sophisticated woman from the middle/upper class' (貴婦). Though I don't buy a lot of expensive jewelries or makeup's, I like fancy dresses and shoes and bags. I also enjoy fine dining at SOHO, having high tea at hotels, shopping in Landmark and Lane Crawford.

My dream, however, is to be a travel journalist: reporting in third world countries and even war zones, and discussing life with both people from the grassroots and the authority. I do not want to be an expat journalist: chit-chatting about politics in a bar and pretending by that they're saving the world.

My favorite career motto is "to protect the inflicted, and to inflict the protected".

How much am I willing to sacrifice my comfort and leisure for my dream?

When I stay in to read and write I do not have time to wear my expensive dresses but when I go out and have fun I have to trade off with my newspapers reading time.

It's a similar dilemma about women choosing between career and love. When they focus on their career their boyfriend complains. But when they dedicate a portion of their precious time to their relationship the chances are they become only a mediocre in the field.

I don't understand how people can live an extravagant life while fighting for social justice by helping the poor and needy. My current boss is one example and I do see conflicts in it.
I know many young couples at my age are together making over 100K a month. I don't fancy their jobs because they are to me very money minded and I don't want to turn myself into money making machine. But I do see the gap between my dream and my desired financial status.

But afterall, I don't need to be a millionaire; I only want to be financially free.

I see it will take me a long way to strive a balance.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, this problem can be solved easily since you are a woman. Your desire lifestyle is to be like those upperclass woman shopping in Landmark and then have a nice afternoon tea with your friends whenever you want. On the other hand, you wana become a tavel journalist, which is very contradictory to your dream lifestyle, since your income might not be able to let you to do so. Fortunately, you are a woman. If you found the right man, then he can help you achieve both your dream lifestyle and career as well, since you dun have to worry about your income, and at the same time do what you like to do. This guy for now doesn't have to be rich now, but needs to have potential to become rich, or financially freedom, which I think is same as a millionare. You need to have money to do whatever you want to do. The more money you have, the more freedom that you will have with your wife, kids, and family. I know not a lot of people can have a good balance on their career and family, but I think I have the ability to do that in the future. I am sure you will find the right guy who will take care of you. I have confidence in you, just like I have confidence in myself.

Posted by: Kawang at April 14, 2004 12:53 AM

November 03, 2004 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kawang.
That is EXACTLY my plan acutally haha!
However I did also acknowledge the problem that it's not easy to find a rich man, who would let me pursue my dream by spending most of my time not at home or risking my life somewhere in the wild, to marry.
To marry a wealthy man and to venture the world are my twin goals. But I'm not expecting much. The worst case is just to remain single for the rest of my life, and I'm fine with it.
From the conversations we had, I felt that you're to be one very responsible family man. Keep it up and keep your faith. Stay being a sweet charm.

Posted by: Clare at April 14, 2004 01:22 AM

November 03, 2004 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kawang, do u think that u may be the right guy to take care of Clare. Actually i do not know who you are. But from your words, you make me feel that you are able to fullfil her dreams. You both may be a perfect match. Good Luck. Bye. Kelly

Posted by: Kelly at April 15, 2004 10:27 AM

November 03, 2004 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, you crazy woman! =P (but beautiful woman also la ok~)
I know you really want to send me away to save your cell phone bills but please stop begging random men to marry me and scaring my male friends!


Posted by: Clare at April 15, 2004 02:33 PM

November 03, 2004 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah..Clare...i understand coz most people reject the true fact. Kelly

Posted by: Kelly at April 15, 2004 02:50 PM

November 03, 2004 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home