Saturday, March 25

Monkey Business

I don't know what to make out of myself. I just came back from a drink with some random guys and now I'm drunk with a broken nail. Given that I still remember where my passion lies.

I met a bunch of equity brokers tonight. Beofer I didn't know how to hold a conversation with those people in finance, and now I could handle that with ease. I still remember two years ago when I first met Marshal, and I was like damn, I didn't know what to talk about. Silence. And today, I could talk to these guys about the market and everybody's happy. And they became assets to my work.

I have to say that there's much more in common now between me and my friends, because most of them are in finance, but I'm not proud of that. Last week at Marshal's birthday party his friends guessed whether I was his colleagues, but no I'm in the media! You know that's something I've been proud of. But when I realized the conversation has to go to the equity end, what has that made me into?

That's HK. That's what I hate about. Money. It's the bond among people. Before when I lived elsewhere, I could have an exciting and constructive conversation just on politics with people. But here hell no. People found me a freak to talk about my work. So here I'm bs-ing about stocks and people thought I'm easy to approach! F* that, I hate money.

I felt that I owe to Christian, how we used to diss people in the monkey business. And now I've become one of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I hate finance either. I have no idea why I could survive in the finance page for one and a half year. (And you know I am a god damn literator.)

Some seniors told me, "it's nothing persional. It's just business." They remind me not to put too much passion with your "source".

Damn it! How can I treat my friends like that?

I don't know whether you get lost in your business or daily living, but just take a long vacation to relax yourself without stress and the "money" thing.

Anyway, you have a sense of what you are doing. That's great.

(今日見妳打英文,所以用英文寫番俾妳,下次妳用法文的話,我就無計~)

March 25, 2006 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

我最怕係,傳媒經常抱住正義感,但係呢種正義感係為一件事件做判決,而唔係客觀咁件事反映出黎。

依家傳媒已經變成左道德法庭,以道德嚮法律以外去審判一件事件,仲以道德衛士自居,久而久之,變成左一種有指向性o既報道,所謂客觀新聞已經滅亡。

我成日都諗,所謂「第四權力」o既定義,係由大眾所賦予傳媒有監察o既權力,為大眾展現全部之真相,但並非擁有一種決定道德所在o既能力。傳媒並非處於道德高地,所以先會有社論o既存在,以表達報社之立場。但當報社o既個人主觀性嚮一份報紙內無處不在時,新聞紙已經唔再係新聞了。係一份「評論報」。

March 27, 2006 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home